Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Afterlife...



The other day I was driving down the road and, as they often are, my thoughts were wandering and I began thinking about the life we'll live after we leave this one. Looking back, I wish I could remember what got me thinking about it. It is so interesting to trace my thought processes sometimes. For instance, the other day I was thinking about singing, then how singers don't sing "old" anymore like the classic vocalists like Judy Garland, then I thought of the girl that sang in "Elf" and then I played "Elf" in my head the whole time I was doing my hair and make-up! I don't even really like that movie! Anywho, my thoughts on our afterlife....
When I was younger and would think about my life in heaven, it always began like something of a joke. You know, where you die and then you're at the "pearly gates" with St. Peter waiting behind a podium to give you a pop quiz and if you pass you get to go through. Well, that's not necessarily what I believe, but that's how I saw it beginning. As I've gotten older and learned more about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ on earth I have learned that "He employs no servant there" and that it will indeed be our Savior that greets us at the other side. And we don't just hang out, catch up with our previously deceased relatives, travel the world as a spirit, or learn to play the harp. Life does indeed go on. Often times I have not fully realized that it isn't even our final judgement! (I am leaving out certain parts of this doctrine, of course) Depending on when we die we may have to wait for a short time until Christ returns again to the earth to regain our physical bodies, and if we happen to live and die during the Millenium, we shall be "changed in the twinkling of eye," but either way we will inhabit our perfected physical bodies during the Millenia.

Do you ever think about what you will do when you get to Heaven? Brad Paisley's going to fly around, run his fingers through a lion's mane, and taste the milky way ;) I've thought about those things too, okay just the flying part cause I don't particularly like animals and I have never believed you could taste the milky way (come on Brad!). I'm sure some people look forward to seeing their deceased loved ones. That would be nice. But what I'm really looking forward to is having a little sit down with God and asking him a whole bunch of unanswered questions! Like: where did my favorite mocha lipgloss disappear to (along with socks and papers and other things I've lost), why I didn't get to marry the person I was convinced I was supposed to marry, why was I put on a road that caused me to make the mistakes I made, and why did He trust me enough to let me make them? I'm sure there will be many more questions as the years come, but I look forward to having that personal priesthood interview and celebrating the triumphs, crying at the remembrance of the heartaches, and discussing all the things about my life I still won't understand. Yes, it's that important to me. Sometimes I think to myself "I'll have to ask Heavenly Father about that when I get to the other side." I should start a list. So, back to my imaginations of my life-after-death....after I arrive and am ushered into Heaven (by the Savior), whisked through a cheering group of dead relatives and a few forgotten friends from my pre-existence [Oh, Hey! Eliza! I remember you! Great job on surving your pioneer trek! I was cheering for you the whole time! We've gotta catch up!], and then have my PPI with Heavenly Father I've never really thought about what would happen. I mean to me personally. I know the doctrine, but I've never applied it to myself. I guess I figured I'd spend some time in some kind of "Heaven School" cause Lord knows I have a LOT to learn in order to become the Goddess I am destined to be! But this is where my thought the other day has shed some new light on the matter.....

We are told all the time that this life is the time to prepare to meet God. This is the time in which we learn things that help us to become like Him. This is the time we must repent and cleanse ourselves from the sins of the world and "put off the natural man" so that we can be clean, even spotless, before God so that we can dwell in His presence. This life is the opportunity we've been given to prove ourselves worthy for the reward of gaining exaltation! Be good+repent=gain exaltation. But then what? What does that mean? Am I only here on earth to learn how hard it is to be human and prove that I can overcome the flesh just to sit around in Heaven enjoying my reward in luxury and ease?

I began thinking about what we work for in life; what our purpose day to day is. For most of us it's a hearty portion of go to work (or get an education to be able to work) to earn money to buy stuff to support a family and enjoy a little slice of life on the side. Since we are religious people we throw a little of that in there cause we hear it's important. It appeared to me that the bulk of our life is spent working to earn THINGS that are necessary to support life and, if we're lucky, to enjoy it. We really get excited when we can travel and go on a vacation; then we're really livin' the dream. No work, no responsibilities, pure enjoyment. Then I thought "What are we going to work for in Heaven? Isn't Heaven going to be a little bit like a vacation?" Then I realized, we will be working for SOULS. We will be working for OTHER PEOPLE. On earth we work for ourselves and our family, for STUFF. Some work to see their numbers grow, their house expand, their car get newer, a new place to explore. What are those people going to think about Heaven? Sometimes I drive around one of the nice neighborhoods near my house and I dream of the kind of home I would like. Yes, I would like a nice house. Yes, I want a nice car. Yes, I would like to have plenty of money in the bank. Yes, I want to be able to provide my children with nice things they need. But none of this stuff is the real measure of who we are! That is why I am so grateful to have the knowledge of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Not only does it teach me what I need to do to get the Heaven, and how to repent when I don't do those things, it PREPARES me to LIVE in Heaven! So much of what we do in within the church is service for others. The really really important stuff being temple work. First we do our work, then every other time we attend the temple it is so someone else can have what we have. Truly the work and the glory of God is to bring to pass the immortality of man and that is what He is trying to teach us also. During the Millenia, life will go on. But I doubt it will include going to work and then doing some geneology in our spare time. No, all of our time will be spent trying to make it so that EVERY PERSON who has ever lived will have the chance to return to live with our Father in Heaven for all eternity.



So to summarize the point of my wandering thoughts: If I don't enjoy missionary work, and temple work, and sharing my testimony and rejoice in the salvation of others now, then I probably won't enjoy Heaven very much. Luckily I do enjoy these things and I am so hoping that I make it so that I am able to be a part of such a wonderful time! Not only will we be free from Satan's power, enjoy the beauty of a perfected earth, and raise our children in a worry free environment, but we will be able to help others do the same.

0 comments: